January 10th, 2018
Recommendations for the Club’s Service Strategy
The analysis of the Club’s environment and the product mix highlights various aspects that the Club should implement to enhance its competitive advantage. These aspects are highlighted by the following recommendations:
- The Club needs to establish a distinct function charged with employee development and management, headed by a human resource professional. Such a function will help the Club to develop career progression opportunities and competitive salary schemes to attract and retain quality management staff.
- The Club needs to sensitize its members on the benefits they stand to gain from the Club’s adoption of technology to avoid member resistance to technology adoption. Technologies such as automation of data processing would lead to a more efficient, reliable and accurate service at the Club’s facilities.
- The Club needs to create a more focused target market. Based on current member statistics and emerging trends in Abu Dhabi, such a target market encompasses British, Irish, American and South African expatriates. Although the club needs to continue offering services relevant to its core members (British and Irish expatriates), it need not brand itself as a British club to avoid alienating members from the US and South Africa, who could form a core market due to their increasing presence in Abu Dhabi. It should promote itself based on the cultural similarities of members from these countries.
- The Club needs to provide more targeted communications to increase average members’ spending. For instance, the Club needs to implement technologies that allow it to send relevant, time-specific and location-specific promotion content to the members.
- The Club needs to explore alliances, for instance with promoters, to enable it host large acts that would provide additional revenues through ticket sales, since it is the only venue in Abu Dhabi with the capacity to host such large acts.
Abu Dhabi Council for Economic Development 2009, The Abu Dhabi economic vision 2030, viewed 03 May 2012, <http://gsec.abudhabi.ae/Sites/GSEC/Content/EN/PDF/Publications/economic-vision-2030-section-3,property=pdf.pdf>.
Banerjee, S & Yancey, S 2010, ‘Enhancing mobile coupon redemption in fast food campaigns’, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, vol. 4, no.2, pp. 97-110, doi:10.1108/17505931011051650
Chen, IJ & Popovich, K 2003, ‘Understanding customer relationship management (CRM): people, process and technology. Business Process Management, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 627-688, doi:10.1108/14637150310496758
Court, T 2011, ‘How the HR function can build the capability to change’, Development and Learning in Organizations, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 16 – 18, Emerald, doi:10.1108/14777281111096780
Denton Wilde Sapte 2001, Doing business in Abu Dhabi, viewed 03 May 2012, <http://web.dubaichamber.ae/LibPublic/Doing%20business%20in%20Abu%20Dhabi.pdf>.
Department of Marketing, Monash University n.d, The Club’s case study.
Dimitriadis, S & Stevens, E 2008, ‘Integrated customer relationship management for service activities: an internal/external gap model’, Managing Service Quality, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 496 – 511, Emerald, doi:10.1108/09604520810898857.
Gilmore, A & Carson, D 1996, ‘Management competencies for services marketing’, Journal of Services Marketing, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 39 – 57.
Gulf News 2012, Stiff competition among Abu Dhabi hotels, viewed 03 May 2012, <http://www.zawya.com/story/pdf/Stiff_competition_among_Abu_Dhabi_hotels-ZAWYA20120304050341/>.
Gummesson, E 2007, ‘Exit services marketing – enter service marketing’, The Journal of Customer Behaviour, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 113 – 141.
Lambert, DM 2010, ‘Customer relationship management as a business process’, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 4 – 17, doi:10.1108/08858621011009119
Mangold, WG & Faulds, DJ 2009, ‘Social media: the new hybrid element of promotion mix’, Business Horizons, vol.52, pp. 357-365, doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2009.03.002
Porter, ME 2008, ‘The five competitive forces that shape strategy’, Harvard Business Review, January, pp. 78-93.
PRS Group, Inc. 2010, United Arab Emirates: country report, PRS Group, Inc., East Syracuse, NY.
Rao, KRM 2011, Services marketing, 2nd edn, Pearson Education India, Noida.
Rust, RT & Chung, TS 2006, ‘Marketing models of service and relationships’, Marketing Science, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 560 – 580.
The Club 2012a, History, viewed 03 May 2012, < http://www.the-club.com/about/>.
The Club 2012b, The Club committee, viewed 03 May 2012, <http://www.the-club.com/about/committeemembers>
The Club 2012c, Management team, viewed 03 May 2012, < http://www.the-club.com/about/managementteam>.
The Club 2012d, Facilities, viewed 03 May 2012, <http://www.the-club.com/facilities/>.
The Club 2012e, The Club magazine, May-June, issue no. 40, viewed 03 May 2012, <http://www.the-club.com/tcm/tcm_05062012/files/tcm-may-june2012-high%20res.pdf>.
Adopted from: Rao, KRM 2011, Services marketing, 2nd edn, Pearson Education India, Noida, pp. 224 – 227.